Friday, June 20, 2014

Food+Movie=FOOVIE FRIDAYS

So, this evening I made a new potato salad recipe, B made bacon sake fried green beans, and Uncle Mike made pork chops on the grill.
Normally I do try to keep a mostly vegetarian diet, but since this was my first FOOVIE blog, I figured what the heck!
So good!

For the movie, it was a pretty hard choice.  I love horror movies, good horror movies and bad horror movies.  B, well he does not care for them, at all.  Thus I had to choose between watching a movie with My Darling, or watching one by myself.   I decided to watch one of my favorite movies that I think has been greatly under rated, if indeed you know of it at all.  I will reveal it after the recipe.

Here is the potato salad recipe I tried.


Ingredients
  • 3½ lbs. potatoes, ½ inch cubed (I peeled my Yukon golds)
  • 4-6 eggs
  • 1 cup crispy thick cut bacon, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • ½ red pepper, diced
  • ½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped (I used curly, only because my grocer was out of flat)
  • 2 green onion, chopped
  • ½ cup mayonnaise
  • ½ cup sour cream (worst picture ever)




  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp ground pepper (sorry, sideways)
  • 2 tsp ground mustard powder
  • A splash of white wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp yellow mustard

  • Some fresh dill


Instructions
  1. place chopped potatoes in a large pot.
  2. cover with cold water (cover by about 1-2 inches), bring to a boil
  3. allow to cook until the potatoes are fork tender (be sure not to over cook and end up with mushy potatoes)
  4. Make the hard boiled eggs.  I make mine in a steamer, for 13 minutes.  Then place in a bowl with ice and cold water for 3-5 minutes.  Peel.  I find older eggs peel easier, and I like to peel mine underwater.  It seems to make them peel easier to me.
    This method makes beautiful yellow yolks!
                                     

  5. run cold water over the potatoes, and immerse them in ice water until fully cooled.
  6. in a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and mustard powder
  7. add celery, green onion, bacon, and parsley (reserving some of the parsley for garnish) also add vinegar, mustard, and dill
  8. chop the hard boiled eggs.  I use my handy dandy gadget.

    I use this side.

  9. place potatoes into a large mixing bowl
  10. pour the mixture over top of the potatoes and carefully mix

  11. refrigerate until ready to serve
  12. Add remaining parsley, a couple sliced hard boiled eggs, and the cooked bacon.
  13. enjoy!

Now for the movie!!!!

The Tunnel
I think that this movie is one of the best "found footage" movies ever made.  I have no idea why I had never heard of it!  I stumbled across it when I was searching for full horror movies on youtube.  

Imdb storyline is as follows:  An investigation into a government cover-up leads to a network of abandoned train tunnels deep beneath the heart of Sydney. As a journalist and her crew hunt for the story it quickly becomes clear the story is hunting them.

Okay, the reasons why I love this movie... it creeped me out, genuinely creeped my ass out.  I loved the plot twists.  I started to genuinely care for the characters.


Reasons where I feel this movie failed.  The monster, you never fully see it or get to understand what it really is or why it does what it does and why it lives where it does.


Without spoilers, I did love the end.


You can still find it on youtube as of the date of this blog.


I believe you can also find it on netfix.


Here is a link to the full movie in youtube with multi subtitles.


If you watch it I would love to know what you think!

Also, if you try the potato salad, let me know what you think!

Now, I am off to watch the movie and have a home made strawberry ice pop.  Be kind to yourself, and each other.