Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Weight Loss Wednesdays

Welcome to Wednesday!

Wednesdays are weight loss day.  Today I have a recipe I am in love with from a website I just adore.

I found the website sparkpeople about 5 years ago, and I have been in love with it from the first moment I found it. First off, it is free.  Second, it is packed with info and tools to help you live a healthier life.  Third, it is all about becoming healthier, not thinner.  Being a big girl myself, I do not see it as bad to be big, as long as you are not destroying yourself with food.

It has tracking tools (nutrition, fitness, goal trackers) as well as a recipe site to enter your recipes and get nutritional information for them.   It has a huge database of peer based recipes, as well as nutritionist made recipes.  And this is where I found one of my all time favorite salads!  Normally I lean toward vegetarian food options, but sometimes I love a little seafood, chicken, or turkey.  Not because of weight loss but because of my health issues and I try to be as animal cruelty free as I can.  Now for the salad recipe!

Dilled Shrimp with Farfalle

Created by PASHIRLEY

Ingredients

    1/2 lb farfalle - aka bow ties (cooked according to package directions, rinsed under cool water, tossed with 1/2 tsp vegetable oil, then chilled) you could also use small shells like me, I can never quite get the bow ties to not be uncooked in the middle.
    1/2 lb cooked shrimp, shelled and split lengthwise (I use salad shrimp, the little ones... they re super cheap and just as delishious)
    1/3 cup red onion (I use white because of my G.E.R.D.)
    1/3 cup light mayonnaise
    1 ripe, but firm, tomato, diced
    3 tbsp drained capers
    3 tbsp snipped fresh dill
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2-5 tbsp vegetable broth
    1/4 tsp salt

    Directions

    Put chilled farfalle in large mixing bowl.
    In another bowl, combine shrimp, red onion, mayo, tomato, capers, dill, lemon juice, 2 tbsp broth, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
    Add mixture to farfalle. Toss until well mixed.
    Serve chilled on lettuce leaves if desired.

    Number of Servings: 4


    So easy, so quick, and so so yummy!  Sorry I have no picture for you.  I was going to make it tonight and take a photo... but B ended up making dinner for me since I was under the weather all day.  If you end up trying it, let me know what you think!!

    With that I will say good night to you on this " hump day".  Be gentle to yourself, and each other.