Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sisterhood Sunday - Jody's Surgery

This has been a miraculous end of my week.

Last Thursday, I brought my mother in law-ish (her son and I have been dating for about 10 years) to the hospital for a full knee replacement.  All of us expected her to not make it through surgery.  Man. We. Were. Wrong!

Not only did she do fantastic, she was walking relatively pain free, 2 hours after surgery.

It is so amazing how far the medical field has come just in the past 20 years.  What would have been a terrible and traumatic surgery with months of recovery time has been condensed into a 2 hour surgery and a 3 day hospital stay.  Granted recovery still needs to happen but she was walking, not only the same day, but 2 hours after they replaced an entire joint!

I cried when I saw her not only pain free, but walking AND smiling pain free.  It has been years since she has been able to walk without limping.  And there she was, excited to walk and asking to go further!

I am so happy for her.  The past year she has been in agony.  She could barely stand from a sitting position.  I have no doubt she will be running circles around me as soon as she is okay to go back to the gym!

Jody, I love you lady.  You and your doctors and nurses have managed to perform some plainly astonishing things, and all in a mere 3 days.  I look forward to walking and chatting with you, and yes, even working out at the gym and having you totally thrash my butt.

With that, I will sign off for the night.  It has been an incredible few days and I am exhausted, physically and emotionally.  So I am going go to bed early and sleep like the dead.  Until next time, be kind to yourself, and each other.