Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Weight Loss Wednesday - Almond Joy Bites

I feel like I talk about Miss Laura in almost every post... well she is quite amazing!  This is something she left at my door one day for a get well pick me up when I was having a bad tummy day.  So delicious!  And no added sugar?!  I have to say, it did make the day more tasty!  I believe she found the recipe on pintrest.  You can find the original recipe here.  I am glad she did!  Full of fiber and easy to make (and no baking so my stove does not heat up the house.)  Here is what you will need.

Almond Joy Energy Bites

2 cups dates, I buy the ones that are chopped up and soak them in warm water to make them softer. The original recipe calls for Medjool dates, but if you soak your dates, they are indistinguishable. If you use the Medjool dates, just make sure you remove the pits, or that they are pit free.




2 cups almonds, I use sliced, but any kind will do.


1/2 cup shredded coconut



1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder





1 Tbsp. coconut oil



1 Tbsp. vanilla extract, yup I spilled.



1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)





Add dates and remaining ingredients to a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine, then use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl. Blend the mixture for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture has moved past the crumbly stage and begins to clump and stick to the sides of the food processor.  If you need it to be a little more tacky add a teaspoon of water.

Use a spoon or small cookie scoop to measure out a tablespoon of dough (or your desired size) and roll it into a ball. If desired, roll the ball in a bowl of coconut flakes. Or just set it aside to eat as-is. Repeat with the remaining dough. I freeze mine and thaw out 3-9 at a time!
Store the energy bites in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Makes so many!

Oh, and these are chock full of fiber.  Unless you are constipated I would try and eat only 3.


I may not post for a couple days since my mother in law-ish is having knee replacement surgery in the morning of the 10th.  Hopefully I will be able to make a post, but if it does not happen, now you will know why.

Until next time, be gentle to yourself and each other.