Monday, December 22, 2014

Makeup Monday - Marsala Pantone's Color Of The Year 2014

Pantone's Color of the Year 2015 - Marsala.

I am so excited about this years color, and let me tell you why.  It is red.  Not fire engine red, not wine red, but blood red.  It looks like red, wine and brown had one magical night and this is what the result was.  Now I may be bias for two reasons. 
  1. My nick name ever since I can remember has been Red.  I answer to it.  It is a part of me.  It is something that I allow to minorly define me.  
  2. It is my favorite color.
  3. I am part Goth, so if it is not black, and it is not grey, it therefore must be either red or purple.  Preferably red.
  4. I am a red head.
  5. My daddy is a red head.
  6. One of my favorite people ever is a red head (yes Blaze, this be you). 
Okay I thought I would only have two... see how much I adore red??

Other than these reasons, I usually never pay a color of the year to sway my color palate.  I usually find "The Color of the Year" juvenile in color.  Lets go back a bit and you will have a better chance of catching my drift.

  • Pantone's Color Of The Year 2014: Wild Orchid

Okay, this color I do like.  But can you mix it with cold and warm tones alike?  you can but who has that much blending time?!  Plus to me it kinda looks like a bubblegum color.

  • Pantone's Color Of The Year 2013: Emerald


Barbie's Christmas tree.  That is all I see.  Not Irish eyes smiling, not the deep green emeralds of Ali Baba treasure... Barbie's fake ass plastic Christmas tree.


  • Pantone's Color Of The Year 2012:Tangerine Tango


This is where all of those nasty florescent orange lippies came from.  2012 I blame you and your ambiguous orange color named after a dance.  And the tango??  Looks more like a feisty flamenco to me.

  • Pantone's Color Of The Year 2011: Honeysuckle


This is a gorgeous color, on any one but a red head!  Really, I love this color but it only looks like I have some kind of skin condition if I wear it.  Probably because my skin tend to lean to the pink side it was a sad color for me.

  • Pantone's Color Of The Year 2010: Turquoise


I LOVE TURQUOISE! Once again the color fought with my skins pigmentation.  Only this time made me look about 3 hours dead.  And jaundice.  How can a pink skin tone turn yellow? Apparently you can achieve that color miracle with turquoise makeup and a red head.


Have you seen the trend here with all of these sugary confectionery lover Barbie dream colors.  Give me a color you can lighten or darken.  Give me a color you can wear to the theater.  Give me sophistication.  the past 5 years have been a cheerleaders dream, and unfortunately I was never the cheerleader type.  I was a HUGE grunge kid in the early '90's so that might explain it.

I am mostly thankful that I can stop purchasing ruby blushes to use as eye shadow.  The lady at the makeup counter at Walgreen's has always given me the stink eye, and I assume this is why. With the new incoming deluge of Marsala colored eye and lip sticks will only prove that I was a decade ahead of the trend... believe me I am just as shocked as you.

Expect to see a return of the 1990's grungy make up that sports an ever autumn eye with a dark lip and no facial contouring with a few updated Geisha Girls this year.  I know I am excited as hell, and plan to be among them well as!

With that and a look back at all of the colors this century so far, I will leave you my Beloved Makeup Minions.


 Always remember to be gentle to yourself, and each other.